Write the shortest possible program or function that will join a list of columnar strings.
For this challenge, columnar strings are defined as one-character-wide strings spanning across multiple lines. Each character, except for the last one, is separated by a newline character. Some examples, separated by
a b c d --- h e l l o --- c o d e g o l f --- " q u o t e s "
Given a list of columnar strings, join them into a single string with multiple columns. If the columnar string is longer than its surroundings, it should be left-padded by spaces.
- This is code-golf, so shortest code wins!
- You may assume inputs are ASCII only.
- You may have trailing newlines.
- You may have trailing spaces.
- This is not a transpose challenge; each string in the input list of strings has newlines separating each character. The "multi-line strings vs list of strings as input" default does not apply here; each string in the test cases are separated by
---and include newlines.
Input: --- a b c d --- h e l l o --- c o d e g o l f --- " q u o t e s " --- Output: (note how `hello` and `code golf` are left-padded by spaces) ahc" beoq cldu dleo o t ge os l" f Input: --- h w --- e o --- l r --- l l --- o d --- Output: hello world Input: --- p f --- b m v --- t s --- d n z --- k x --- g N h --- Output: pbtdkg m n N fvszxh Input: --- 1 --- 2 --- 3 --- 4 --- 6 5 --- Output: 1 6 2 3 4 5 Input: --- a c --- | --- b d --- Output: a|b d c Input: --- Output: (empty output, or single newline)