Your task is to find two missing characters in a Columbo episode title.
One of the 69 Columbo episode titles (as listed below), with exactly two characters replaced with
"Ran*om for a *ead Man"
You may either return the full episode title, or just the two missing characters in any reasonable format, provided that the order of the characters is unambiguous.
Some valid outputs:
"Ransom for a Dead Man" "sD" ["s", "D"]
Please follow this link to get the unformatted list.
Prescription: Murder Swan Song Murder, Smoke and Shadows Ransom for a Dead Man A Friend in Deed Sex and the Married Detective Murder by the Book An Exercise in Fatality Grand Deceptions Death Lends a Hand Negative Reaction Murder: A Self Portrait Dead Weight By Dawn's Early Light Columbo Cries Wolf Suitable for Framing Troubled Waters Agenda for Murder Lady in Waiting Playback Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo Short Fuse A Deadly State of Mind Uneasy Lies the Crown Blueprint for Murder Forgotten Lady Murder in Malibu Etude in Black A Case of Immunity Columbo Goes to College The Greenhouse Jungle Identity Crisis Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health The Most Crucial Game A Matter of Honor Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star Dagger of the Mind Now You See Him... Death Hits the Jackpot Requiem for a Falling Star Last Salute to the Commodore No Time to Die A Stitch in Crime Fade in to Murder A Bird in the Hand... The Most Dangerous Match Old Fashioned Murder It's All in the Game Double Shock The Bye-Bye Sky High IQ Murder Case Butterfly in Shades of Grey Lovely But Lethal Try and Catch Me Undercover Any Old Port in a Storm Murder Under Glass Strange Bedfellows Candidate for Crime Make Me a Perfect Murder A Trace of Murder Double Exposure How to Dial a Murder Ashes to Ashes Publish or Perish The Conspirators Murder With Too Many Notes Mind Over Mayhem Columbo Goes to the Guillotine Columbo Likes the Nightlife
Clarifications and rules
- Storing the list of episodes (or storing enough information to guess the missing characters) is part of the challenge. In other words, you don't get the list 'for free'. If using external files, their lengths must be added to your byte count.
- Your program/function must support the titles exactly as listed above:
- The case of each letter must match exactly.
- The punctuation must also match exactly.
- All characters in the title may be replaced with
*, not just letters. They might be contiguous.
- You may expect another 'blank' character instead of
*, as long as it does not appear anywhere in any title. (If so, please mention it in your answer.)
Ah, there's just one more thing. I almost forgot...
- This is code-golf, so the shortest answer in bytes wins!
Here is a link to all 14252 possible inputs.